Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Sanctuary Of Marriage

I overheard my sister talking on the phone to one of her friends. 'I got engaged! I got engaged last night' I recognised the voice, it was a friend of our from high school. Well, more of my sister's friend. Whilst I understand how joyous it must be for her to be engaged to her boyfriend of three years, I became worried when I heard them discussing marriage and pregnancy. ' That will be you next year' said my sister, to which she replied by urging my sister to hurry up and join in their 'league'. You see, our other high school friend also got engaged and married last december.

So why am I worried? The friend that my sister was speaking to is 23. The other friend that got married in december is 23 as well. Both have not finished college, have no solid career, no business plans, nothing. They do want to get married and have kids though. To avoid being branded a 'hater', I kept shut. I am younger than all of them but I was allowed to skip grades in junior high school as I was quite intelligent so me trying to say anything would be like pouring water into a bucket with a hole. You see, perhaps that formulae works for some people. Perhaps, they will find their happiness, at least, I pray they do.

However my question is why? Women are rushing into marriage at a very young ages straight from their parents house into the marital home with no experience of managing bills, not much experience of the real world as they are still in college or just fresh out. Am I missing something? We as women now have a million and one options to expand and grow into our selves, financially, emotionally, physically and so much more. Are we taking time to truly grow into ourselves before throwing ourselves into the deep end of marriage? Have you truly lived in the fullness of the world and in yourself enough to share with someone else? At 23, I really dont think so.

There are SO MANY different views on age and marriage, especially where age is concerned. Plus hey, who am I to say what is right for who. Bottomline is find your happiness and be aware that true love only exists when it leads you to yourself. True love will make you realise your inner strenght, your dreams and take you out of your limitations. True love brings true growth; spiritually, finantially, emotionally, it expands your knowledge, it leads you to realise the full potential of the being that is you. This is love, and this is what should bring you both into the sanctuary of marriage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sometimes I get a new window to post a comment, sometiimes I don't.

I was married at 19. My husband was 27. We have been very happily married over 15 years.

I do not think all females are ready at 19 though. I also don't think it is always age as much as it is knowledge and maturity. I am much betetr at finances and managing bills and other responsibilities than people I know who waited until after college to get married.

I think too many females expect their husband to always meet all of their needs and emotions. No one will always do that forever for someone else. There will be times it just doesn't happen and we need to feel confident enough to survive those episodes.