Have you ever felt that the only thing standing between you and doing the things you want to do might be some really fickle things like the things people say or things people do? The tongue holds all sorts of power and so do the people behind the tongue. Most of our battles are from within and even though we fail to admit it, the things people say will affect 90% of our unconscious decisions. For example, a 17 year old high schooler whose goal is to proceed into further education might come from an underprivileged home where the chances of college education are slim. She is focused on doing her best and getting a scholarship or she might even be prepared to work through college. However, her support system is weak, family laughs at her, peers says she should really forfeit that dream. She is constantly bombarded by negative encouragement. Now this is just an example, we all face a lot of similar situations where we encounter negativity and lack of support. The key to getting through all these discouragements and emerging on top of your dreams is creating your own world.
In this new world, the only people that matter are those who believe and add positively to your dreams. In this new world everyone else and what they say really don't count. I remember a time my dad sat me down and started making suggestions as to how and what I am supposed to be doing with my life. Needless to say, these suggestions were in the 180 degree direction to mine. However, this was my dad, I am not going to walk off as I firmly believe in respect and humility. What I did was I managed to go into my little world for the duration of the 1 hour of the time he thought we were having a positive conversation that fitted into his ideas for my life. I kept nodding my head with the many variations of 'uhun'. In reality, I was imagining this place where I had fulfilled my dreams, how I got there, how wonderful it felt, how much hard work put in.. I was essentially not in the same room, or world, as my dad was.
This has worked for me A LOT. I killed two birds with one stone by showing my dad that his opinions are welcome but I disallowed his negativity from getting to me by..well, not really listening. I use this for essentially anyone who do not understand my dreams or visions, this could be anyone from family to old friends to people who you don't even know that judge you regardless. Your world is a place of reassurance, a place of hope, a place to reprimand yourself and keep yourself steering is the right direction, a place to work hard until you succeed. Only you and believers of your dream will be present in this world.
Now wouldn't it be nice if all your family and friends were able to live with you in this world. Yes, it would, but life does not always happen this way. You will need to let go of loved ones and love them outside of your world. Remember, this is your life, it is your responsibility. you cannot blame your future failure on anyone. So, as long as your dreams and your goals are realistic (see my blog on dream, plan and execute) then it is time to create your world. Sometimes you will need to move a physical distance of your world far away from anyone outside your world. By this, I mean you may have to leave home, move to somewhere else where you can focus and carry out your goals within your own world.
In summary, the things people say can affect your dreams and goals. Do not fall into this cycle. Create your own world and move your world away physically and mentally from the outside world. Remember, your world may not necessarily consist of people you have known for the whole of your life. The only people relevant in that world are those who believe in your dreams This doesn't mean abandoning your family, friends etc Just because they don't believe in your dreams doesn't mean they are terrible people. Love them outside of your world but keep your world exclusive and be able to keep them outside of your world but inside of your life.
Sunday, December 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment